IT Security refers to the methods, tools, and personnel used to defend an organization’s digital assets. IT security aims to protect these assets, devices, and services from being disrupted, stolen, or exploited by unauthorized users, otherwise known as threat actors.
It maintains the integrity and confidentiality of sensitive information, blocking the access of sophisticated hackers.
Both IT security and information security sound similar. They do refer to different types of protection. Information security refers to the processes and tools designed to protect sensitive business information from invasion, whereas IT security refers to securing digital data through computer network security.
Threats to IT security can come in different forms. A common threat is malware or malicious software infecting networks via different variations, including Ransomware, Spyware, Viruses, etc.
The risk of Cyber Security threats is increasing rapidly with technology at its peak. Cybersecurity specialists work on IT teams and play a key role in securing information systems and protecting the integrity of the organization’s network and Data via monitoring, detecting, investigating, analyzing, and responding to security events.
The specialists protect systems from cybersecurity risks, threats, and vulnerabilities. There are different cybersecurity threats such as injecting viruses, identity theft, password hacking, Spyware, Keyloggers, Adware, Trojans, Ransomware, zero-day attacks, etc.
IT security is the conceptual ideal attained by using the three processes: threat prevention, detection, and response. These processes are based on various policies and system components, which include the following:
- User accountaccess controls and cryptography can protect systems files and data, respectively.
- Firewallsare by far the most common prevention systems from a network security perspective as they can (if properly configured) shield access to internal network services and block certain kinds of attacks through packet filtering. Firewalls can be both hardware- and software-based.
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS) products are designed to detect network attacks in-progress and assist post-attack forensics. At the same time, while audit trails and logs serve a similar function for individual systems.
Some of the significant issues faced due to cyber-attacks are as under:
- Business loses because its website is inaccessible
- It can stop a government body from offering an essential service.
- It could also lead to large amounts of sensitive data being stolen, which can then affect individuals on a personal or financial level.
- Cause electrical blackouts, failure of military equipment, and breaches of national security secrets
- They can result in the theft of valuable, sensitive data like medical records.
- They can disrupt phone and computer networks or paralyze systems, making data unavailable
- Consumer mistrust
- Reputational damage
Cyber threats come from a variety of places, people, and contexts. Malicious actors include individuals that create attack vectors using their software tools.
These criminal organizations run like corporations, with large numbers of employees developing attack vectors and executing attacks, Nation-states, Terrorists, Industrial spies, Organized crime groups, Unhappy insiders, Hackers, Business competitors, etc.
Network Security includes Antivirus and Antispyware programs, Firewalls that block unauthorized access to a network, and VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) used for secure remote access.
The types of security and privacy to mitigate the risk of cyber threats includes the following:
Access control, Anti-keyloggers, Anti-malware, Anti-spyware, Anti-subversion software, Anti-tamper software, Anti-theft, Antivirus software, Cryptographic software, Computer-aided dispatch (CAD), Firewall, Intrusion detection system (IDS), Intrusion prevention system (IPS), Log management software, Parental control, Records management, Sandbox, Security information management, Security information and event management (SIEM), Software and operating system updating, Vulnerability Management, etc.
The Information security threats are increasing day by day & changing their form & methods. The risk is high on the business performance & privacy of an individual. Identification of early threats & mitigating their impact is the key to reducing the effects of such threats.